ave you ever wondered about the bells in the
These bells tell the Benedictine monk when it is time to pray.
- Matins - First bell of the day, this service was
held at midnight.
- Lauds - Short service, approx. 1:30am.
- Chapter - Morning Meeting
- Prime - Morning Prayer, held at dawn
- Terce - Short office, held around 9am
- Sext - Short office, held at noon
- None - Short prayer meeting, about 3pm
- Collation - Short readings held after supper.
- Vespers - Early evening Prayer, 6pm.
- Compline - Evening Prayer, before bedtime. 7:30pm
summer, 8:30pm winter.
Click here to download the benedictine
bell sound (WAV ~ 170KB)